Monday, November 16, 2015

Clerks Culture Review #1

This was my first night at my new part-time job, graveyard shift at a gas station. I'm 1 part clerk, 1 part security guard and 2 parts janitor. I listened to some podcasts and read a comic (on my break). Here are the pieces of culture I ingested and a simple rating of them using NACHOS.

THE TREATMENT
"Jason Segel: The End of the Tour"
Synopsis:
Actor and screenwriter Jason Segel is best known for portraying fictional characters in such films as Forgetting Sarah Marshall and I Love You, Man. Today, Segel discusses his immersion into the world of David Foster Wallace for his newest film The End of the Tour, and the importance of truly understanding and properly portraying the innovative and troubled author.

My Rating:
3 out of 4 Gas Station Nachos.


MARVEL COMICS
"Captain America: White #1"
Synopsis:
From his re-awakening in the present day to his days on the battlefield during World War II, follow CAPTAIN AMERICA as he recalls a special mission during THE BIG ONE! • It's 1941 and the HOWLING COMMANDOS are just looking to kick back and relax.... But CAP and BUCKY are about to make their night a whole lot worse!

The EISNER AWARD-WINNING team of JEPH LOEB and TIM SALE reunite to tell a shocking story of CAPTAIN AMERICA AND BUCKY! • Extra-sized issue featuring CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHITE #0

My Rating:
4 out of 4 Gas Station Nachos

THE FLOP HOUSE
"Grace of Monaco"
Synopsis:
Straight from Cannes to Lifetime (TM), it’s the Grace Kelly biopic Grace of Monaco. Meanwhile Elliott has a surprisingly deep well of Saved by the Bell knowledge, Dan speculates about Curly’s gold, and Stuart finds a new way to leave Dan out of things.

My Rating:
4 out of 4 Gas Station Nachos

I WAS THERE TOO
"Waiting For Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind with Deborah Theaker"
Synopsis:
Phenomenal actress and improviser Deborah Theaker joins Matt this week to talk about her roles in a trilogy of Christopher Guest films. Deborah tells us about how George Lucas helped her get her green card, how bombing with the Kids in The Hall made her fearless onstage, making herself essential in Waiting For Guffman, and the real tears she shed in A Mighty Wind. Plus, Matt finally answers listener mail during I Was There Q&A!

My Rating:
2 out of 4 Gas Station Nachos

iFANBOY
"Pick of the Week"
About every six months I think I'll try to give this a listen. These guys know their contemporary comics. Seriously, they are super super knowledgeable. Before they down-sized their website, the podcast had great audio. Since, biting the bullet and backing off their efforts, the audio quality has gone down... so much so, that every six months when I give it another try, I can't even make it to the first comic review. Great content. Horrid audio.

My Rating:
1 out of 4 Gas Station Nachos

SONG EXPLODER
"RJD2 'Games You Can Win (Feat. Kenna)'"
Synopsis
RJD2 has been making music since 2002. His song “A Beautiful Mine” was turned into the opening credits music for Mad Men. He’s a producer and beatmaker, but also a singer and songwriter. But for the vocals on the song “Games You Can Win,” he tapped Kenna, a Grammy-nominee who Malcolm Gladwell wrote about in Blink. In this episode, you’ll get to hear the parts that make up the track, as well as the unreleased demo vocals that RJ originally recorded himself.

My Rating
3 out of 4 Gas Station Nachos


99 PERCENT INVISIBLE
"Episode 187: Butterfly Effects"
Synopsis
Ballots are an essential component to a working democracy, yet they are rarely created (or even reviewed) by design professionals. Good ballot design is mainly a matter of following good design principles in general—familiar territory for graphic designers, but not necessarily so for election officials.

My Rating
3 out of 4 Gas Station Nachos

No comments:

Post a Comment