Monday, December 10, 2012

Satisfaction in Writing (Even Academic Writing)

I don't want to alienate more potential audience
Podcasters Kevin Smith and Adam Carolla
I'm going to toot my own horn for a second (@NetHeadWW, not that way). I've put a TON of time into this paper I'm working on, and it might be one of the best academic pieces I've ever written. I'll post it on my blog when I'm finished. Creating a well thought out academic paper, gives me the same satisfaction as building a structure or painting a portrait (both of which I can't do, so that comparison is complete speculation). At any rate, here is a taste of the soon-to-be finished paper:

"One example of Smith's us-versus-them rhetoric was recorded on a podcast when, as a guest on the Adam Carolla Show, Kevin Smith defended his stance on his interaction with homosexual audience members:


One of the things that's important to me, is making a little bit of a bridge between the "dudes' dudes and guys' guys" and the gay community. Why? I've got a gay brother, maybe that's part of it. Maybe it's because I'm a human being and I can't stand fucking people being like, "You go over there because I don't like what you do with your dick" ... In my work, I've always tried to throw in gay humor; be pro-gay. I make gay documentaries. And part of it is, yes, I've got a gay brother. But it's not just that ... I don't want to alienate more potential audience (Carolla)." 

No comments:

Post a Comment