Thursday, April 8, 2010

Cool vs Stool - Movie Remakes

Cool
Oceans 11 (2001)
While this is a remake of the 1960 Rat Pack film, that I’m pretty sure anyone reading this hasn’t seen (please comment and prove me wrong), there is no need to be familiar with the original to appreciate the absolute Cool of this flick.
Dawn of the Dead (2004) pictured
The 1978 original Dawn of the Dead was the stand alone sequel to Night of the Living Dead, which lead to an eventual four sequels. The original is fantastic, and the 2004 remake was done in a way that captures many of the same themes and feel of the original, but lays out more of a “re-imagining” of the 1978 version. A must see for any zombie lover.
Captain America (201?)
This film hasn’t even been filmed yet. In fact, casting hasn’t even finished. That said, I feel that even Jon Peters could take on this task, and still come out ahead of the 1990 original.


The Saint (1997)
Much like Oceans 11, I’m pretty sure that no one reading this has seen the original 1960’s TV action spy series, The Saint , starring Roger Moore. However, like Oceans 11, this film rocks even if you haven’t read the series of novels of the same title or the seen the TV series. Although, I would love to see Val Kilmer go up against Roger Moore in his prime in a no holds barred cage match.
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
I guess you could say that this is a remake of a remake of a comic book character. Hulk was first a TV series in the 1970s, then Marvel studios took a failed crack at a blockbuster in 2003. The CGI of the 2003 version is definitely the worst to ever come out of the Marvel Studios. They did remake Hulk in 2008 when they cast Edward Norton in 2008’s The Incredible Hulk, and totally redeemed themselves!




Stool
Karate Kid (2010) pictured
As far as I’m concerned, there is no remake of the original 1984 masterpiece.
Clash of the Titans (2010)
Was the 1981 original film very good? No. Given the circumstances, is the 2010 version worse? Absolutley.
Godzilla (1998)
It’s pretty sad when a Sci/Fi film with a budget of over $125 million, can’t do better than the 1954 original
Aeon Flux (2005)
Like Clash of the Titans (2010), the equation of attractive people + well done CGI ≠ a well done film. Sadly, not even Charlize Theron was enough top this film above the 1991, 1992, and 1995 animated series.
Avatar (2009)
I liked this film better when it was Dances with Wolves, or Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest, or even Gorillas in the Mist.

Bookmark and Share



3 comments:

  1. We've totally seen the original Oceans 11. However, agreed. The original was just an excuse for Sinatra and the boys to party it up in Vegas. Plus, the ending is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I liked Aeon Flux. (Note: I did not say LOVED.) She's a badass. She probably should've kept her clothes on though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the original Dawn of the Dead... really creeped me out and was the first zombie movie I fell in love with ...actually first one I saw ever. I think I was born after it came out.

    Anyways, I like it - as well as Shawn of the Dead. :)

    ReplyDelete