Monday, September 7, 2009

Sept 7th Mix Tape - Cave In

For those of you who have given up on CD's and are now buying all your music on itunes, I feel sorry for you. There is nothing more rewarding than happening upon an album that you haven't listened to in years and then rediscovering why you bought it in the first place. This is what happened to me as I moved my CD collection into a new shelf and found my Cave In LP and EP's.

I was first exposed to Cave In by music guru Brecon Powell around 2000. Brecon was my source of all things emo and indie (genres which at the time didn't carry the teen angst, hot topic, skinny jeans stigma that plague them now). He made me a copy of the new "Jupiter" album.

The two albums prior to "Jupiter" were straight up hardcore albums. However "Jupiter" showcased the band's newly found sound that Spin Magazine called "emo-metal Radiohead." The heavy influences of their hardcore past mixed with space rock makes for a unique and addicting combination.

Cave In has since released two more LP's and a slough of EP's and singles. If you are into Incubus, Sense Field, or Radiohead, chances are you'll dig Cave In. Go pick up one of their albums and hold on to it, file it in your collection, and then rediscover it!

No comments:

Post a Comment